Monday, July 13, 2015

Five Pounds in Five Miles

Ladies,

I have a habit in the summer when the weather is warm to periodically weigh myself before and after a workout. This is an old triathlete trick; endurance racing is largely resource management, so I have to monitor my resource output in order to be sure to replenish at a proper rate. Simply put, I have to make sure I am replacing what I am losing.

Today the difference in the before/after weight was 5 lbs. That's 5 lbs. of sweat. That's 5 lbs. of water loss. A gallon of water weighs just over 8 lbs. Can you imagine a milk jug filled 5/8's full of sweat? Gross I know, but telling.

As of this writing at 9:49 AM, it's 86 degrees with a real-feel of 96 degrees. Dew point is 76 degrees, and humidity is 71%. When we ran it was cooler, but all that means is the humidity was much higher, probably more in the 90% range. Sweat doesn't evaporate when that happens. You sweat harder, you dehydrate faster.

And that's what happened to many of you today. That's why you were fine one minute and not the next. It hits you that fast, and you are done. It's not your fault.

I had plans for 6 miles, which a few of you hit. I did modify the workout a few times as the conditions deteriorated, and some of you didn't go as far as we planned. That's my decision to make, and you may not agree with me at the time, but always remember I have your safety in mind. I am running with you for many reasons, to feel what you feel, to see you as you do it, and to monitor the situation at all times. If I pull you out for a rest, you don't have to like it, but accept it. Don't worry, it won't be just you; everyone has a bad day here and there, especially under these challenging weather conditions. Hang tough as long as you can. When it cools off, it pays off.

Bringing this back to the beginning, try weighing yourself before and after runs. You might be surprised what you find out. If you are keeping a running journal, which I strongly suggest you do, that information can be of great value as you try to analyze your program as you move along.

_____________________________________________________________

Physicals. Get them. Now. Season is only three weeks away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment