Monday, July 6, 2015

Made it to Charleston!

Ladies,

So our vacation is begun! Leisa and I made it to Ashville, NC last night, spending the night after 8 hours of driving. Construction really held us up, so I was glad we weren't pushing through all the way to Charleston in one day.

Ashville is a nice town, home of the Biltmore Estate. This is the summer home of the Vanderbilt family, built around 1900. It features over 100 rooms! How would you like THAT for a summer home? It's nestled in the scenic mountains of North Carolina, and is really a breathtaking spectacle.

Before we left Ashville, I wanted a run, but there was no safe place to do it outside. I was forced to get on a treadmill and go. I started off, and struggled for 9-minute pace. It was starting to freak me out until I noticed the grade was set on 6% - a huge climb. Imagine trying to run 9-minute pace on the big hill coming off the Milwaukee Trail and you get the idea. After I straightened that out, things went better. I dropped the pace every mile, finishing with a 6:30 mile. The overall average was 7:45 mpm, so that was a good workout.

Coach Jo told me you all had great runs today. That's great! I was glad to hear so many went longer, which is what we need to see. I'm pushing myself too, don't worry. Vacation doesn't mean vacation from training! I will ride and run tomorrow, along with miles of walking around town seeing the sites. I'll try to post some pictures of Rainbow Row tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment