Monday, July 30, 2012

A little farther

Ladies,

I don't know if you realize it, but today was a milestone.

This is the first time I didn't split the distance up much for the group on an individual basis. Of course the exception was the girl gone on a mission trip, but the rest of you were tasked with going the same distance. Today's run was on a course we call the Long 10k, because it's, well, a long 10k. You went 6.4 miles, which is one of the longest runs of the summer. It was the first time some of you went that distance. Judging by the way things went, we've made some great progress.

That doesn't mean it was easy - I know some of you suffered more than others. I took a couple of you off the front and pushed a bit. That needs to happen. You won't always be able to train completely together. Plainly put, some of you are faster than others. That's normal.

Something to remember about running cross - usually, the best way to help your team is to be the best runner you can be. Both on an individual and team basis, the better you run, the better you/the team scores. So to some extent, training has to be a selfish pursuit.

This doesn't mean you ignore the needs of your team. A very good question was asked of me today. Here it is, as best as I can paraphrase it:

"If we're running together, and someone falls off the back, should we wait on her?"
It's not a black-and-white answer, but I'll do my best. There's a great big "It depends" I'll apply here. Is this a hard workout? If so, continue on with your own run. Do you think the person is hurt? If so, go back and check. If the person is okay, usually it will be best to push on. For that reason the responsibility to check on fallen runners should fall to the better runners, as they have the best chance to rejoin the group if they fall behind. Can you encourage the person to run beyond what they believe to be possible if you stay? If so, and if the workout isn't critical to you, stay with them. Would it be unsafe to leave the person alone? If so, stay with them.

The thing we can't encourage is slower running on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes there is a struggle to bridge from one's current position to the pack. Everyone goes through it, it's part of running. This is unavoidable. However, for the most part, this is also short lived. We are wired with a pack mentality, and we find a way, one way or another, to get back to the group.

Bake Sale
I have contacted Walmart, and the application (yes, there is an application process) is being processed. I have set us down for this Saturday or next Saturday, the open weekends we have left. I don't know if this is going to happen or not, nor do I know when I'll know one way or another. You'll know when I know.

Practice this week at Parkview, 8 AM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment