Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What a mess!

Clockwise: Chloe, Locki, Danielle, Alli, Diana,
Lauren, Shelby, Hanna, Summer, Keeley,
Carrie, Bret, Morgan
We all knew the course would be a hard one - after all, we'd already discussed the big hill. What we hadn't considered was what a horrible mess the course would be in after the rain. Wow! To me, this qualified as the messiest course we've run this year. That is saying a lot, because Brown County was a swamp.

I started to work out the splits, but you know what? I stopped. Maybe it's because it's late. Nah. Maybe I'm tired. Yes, but that's not it. No, I stopped because they don't matter.

The course is short. It's also in horrible shape, the terrain is uneven, and the huge hill (the signature feature of the course) all make for splits that can't possibly be used for any real analysis. No, in a race like this, you don't run for time - you run for place.

I thought we did a very nice job in that department. We had three girls in the top-15, all 5 scorers in the top-20, so that was good. We were within 14 points of Jasper, a team that demolished us last week. And, not the least, we finished 2nd.

So what's left? Sectional! The regular season is over now, and everything we've worked for is now come to this one race. It's a bittersweet moment, because I now have to select the 7 runners that will run Varsity. There will be no JV race, so tonight was the last night some of you girls will race.

Back to the Varsity... a moment ago, I said "I now have to select the 7 runners that will run Varsity." That's not exactly true... you did. You've already done it. The runners with the 7 fastest times this season will be the squad. Barring the unforeseen, that's the fairest way to do it. Having double-checked the numbers, this is what I have:

Danielle
Carrie
Shelby
Keeley
Alli
Morgan
Chloe

1st Alt. - Locki
2nd Alt. - Diana
3rd Alt. - Bret

I'm sorry to have to choose, but it was always going to come to this. Do not feel bad if you didn't make the list. I'm so proud of all you girls, beginning to end. Things didn't always go the way we wanted or hoped, especially in the realm of health, but I do believe you gave me an honest effort. Hold your heads up - your best is all you can ever give.

You are of course welcome to workout with the Sectional runners and alternates. I would be happy to keep seeing you, and I'm sure the girls would too. This is voluntary, however.

Tomorrow will be an easy and short practice. See you all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment