Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A bridge too far

Ladies,

I apologize. I pushed too hard, and the thing is, it wasn't a hard thing to see coming. Coach Jo told me I was asking too much. I know I am upping your mileage every week. It was hot and muggy. I was asking for trouble, and found it. I own that, and I apologize.

Don't let it bother you. We're in our 4th week - this is the first workout that was a bust. They will happen. We're on track, we have no real problems at the moment, but sometimes the only way to know where the boundaries are is to cross them. Today we did. In retrospect it would have been wiser to stick to 2 or 2.5 miles, or do a completely different moderate-effort workout for an equivalent length.

The one thing I noticed though, and we do have to work on this, is how it fell apart. Once the first person broke, it was as if the dam burst. Part of this was because you were running right on the edge, but without trying to sound harsh, it revealed something else - how important it is to have your head in the right place, and how we need to make mental adjustments when things go wrong.

This workout was the first time there was absolutely no energy in the warm-up or even before. There was a pall hanging over all of you. There were a lot of reasons to feel that way, I agree, but even at that you can never be afraid to try. Some of your best workouts will come at the least likely times. Who knows why? But they do, and you have to give yourself a chance to experience it. You do that by trying as hard as you can to put your head in the place it can do you the most good.

Stay in the positive. What can you control at that moment? How does your body feel? Are you holding it together? How is your breathing? How is your foot plant? These are things you control, and the things you should focus on most. Don't worry about how much is left. There is right here and right now, and that is enough to worry about. If you are in control, you are far more likely to stay positive. If you stay positive, you are far more likely to extend yourself for greater periods of time and distance.

Again, this workout didn't work because I didn't design it well, and I didn't listen to good counsel. You tried to do what I ask, all of you. No, I need to go farther than that - a couple of you knocked it out of the park. Bret continues to look reborn, and she was plowing through the miles as if nothing was awry. Claudia also did a fantastic job in that this was the first time she felt confident enough to take a leadership role in a run. For a raw beginner, that's a pretty big deal. The rest of you put in great efforts until it all fell apart.

Tomorrow we will run a mystery course - that is, you don't know where I'm taking you until you show up. Hey, it's Bedford, it can't be that obscure. But it will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment