Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Odds and Ends

Ladies,

In light of today's events, let me reiterate a couple of things...


  • Physicals need to be completed ASAP. These must be filed on the official IHSAA forms available online. No exceptions! Give them to me as soon as you have them. 
  • I need to be made aware of any specific health concerns - allergies, diabetes, epilepsy, heart disease... anything and everything. Our sport, while not overtly dangerous, does impose some risks. 
  • I want to be made aware of any lingering pain. We all hurt from training - that's not specifically worrisome. Knife-like pain or pain around the knees and hips needs attention.
Your safety is the most important thing to me. After that your grades, then and only then your athletic performance. Those are my priorities, in order. 

Speaking of priorities, the coaches and I were speaking after practice. Coach Jo raised another good point (and she's quickly becoming a genius in my book) about our focus. We need to always have in mind our goals for the upcoming season. Sure, it's early yet, I know, but you know what? When I train for an event I allow 6 months and my focus is always on where I want to be during that peak race. Always. I analyze my training throughout the cycle to figure out what is going right and wrong, and deciphering the proper adjustments to make along the way. I'm methodical about it really. I forget sometimes that other people aren't that way. 

Here's a goal I have for this team - get to Semi-State. This is a challenging though completely doable goal for you ladies.

Here's another goal - place in the top 3 at Conference, Sectional, and of course top 5 at Regional. Once again, very doable goals. 

Here's another goal - I want as many girls under 22 minutes as possible. If we get 5 girls in the 22's, we'll likely cruise to Semi-State. If we get 5 in the 20's, we'll go to State. That's my ultimate goal. 

You should be thinking about those goals. You should also add some personal goals. I like to set mine at three levels - the immediate, the mid-range, and then ultimate goals. Example:

This week: build my mileage up, run on the front of the group.
Mid-range: by summer's end be running 8 miles per day.
Ultimate: drop my time from last year 30-45 seconds. 

Yours may vary, but this template allows enough flexibility to fit in your specific goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment