Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It was a muggy run

Ladies,

This morning summer peeked it's head, and we had a muggy one. The next two days should be cooler, but make no mistake about it, summer is coming soon enough. Get in the habit of drinking more water, and it also wouldn't hurt to take a bit more salt in your diet. You'll run it off, don't worry. Your ability to handle the heat is going to directly correspond to your ability to retain water.

I continue to be happy about our progress. Our mileage is creeping up, and as yet we don't have anyone hurt. I still want to monitor this situation closely. If you have any stabbing or throbbing pain, I want to know.

A question was raised this morning about Varsity vs. JV. Let me clarify this early on for the new people - there is no distinction. If you train with the Varsity every day, you get the Varsity points. I can't run more than 7 people during State series, and that shouldn't be the lone arbiter of who gets the points. Truth is, we need everyone to help us get as far as we can. This means even if you aren't one of the top 7, you may have directly contributed to our success. I guess I'm saying there's more than one way to earn the stripes.

Also I should be clear about other topics. As some of you may recall, last year there was some controversy on the boys' team after a party they attended was raided. Some of the boys were even arrested for drinking. Let me make this simple; don't do it. As much as I love this sport, and as much as I want to do as well as possible, far more important to me is your individual futures. We don't live in a world where such transgressions are easily forgotten or forgiven. A silly choice might be the difference between scholarship monies, entry into universities, or even a complete roadblock to certain careers. For that reason I take alcohol and drug abuse very seriously. It would break my heart to do it, but if you get arrested for either, chances are you'll never run another meet this season.

Clothing! This also came up this morning. Look, in light of recent events at our high school, we cannot risk the bad publicity of you running in sports bras during a practice. I live in the running culture, I totally get it and what a hassle it is, but it's a battle we cannot win. If you're practicing with me, you have to have a shirt on. A sleeveless tech shirt over a sports bra is the best option. I cannot/will not yield on this point.

More information... severe weather! I have no problem running a practice in the rain - sometimes it's even fun! Severe weather is another matter. We cannot run in lightning or hail. Period. I leave this to your discretion on days the weather looks bad at or near the start of practice, just know if it's storming, we aren't running until it stops.

Oh, here's some food for thought. It might shed some light on how important yesterday's test actually was...

If you can't see it, click on the picture for a larger version.

Fund Raising
I have been unable to get in contact with the Boys and Girls Club or Walmart. I have the right numbers, no one is picking up. I will keep trying.

Shirts are a go. I think you need to go with something sleeveless and tech, so it is cool and wicks.

Unless I hear from Dr. Jimmy otherwise, I'm guessing Popsicles are also a go. Don't buy them just yet, but do be thinking about where you'd set up and what you'd charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment