Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Back to the Course

Ladies,

Today was the first day we ran on the BNL course for the season. I didn't allow us to run too far on it for a simple reason; it's hard on you when you aren't used to it. I know we've been doing trail running, but that trail is well-manicured and immaculate in texture. The BNL course is rough in places with ample opportunity to turn or twist ankles. You will be sore after running on it. Bet on it. Be prepared to ice sore body parts over the next week or so as we acclimate.

I've given a lot of leeway to girls missing practice this week because it's a bit of a hybrid time - half is summer, half is school. That leeway is about to disappear. We need you at practice. We need you there every day. If you aren't going to be there, I need to know and know why. That's the only way this works. This isn't a club activity; it's a sport. Sports are demanding, and a commitment. I am committed to being at practice every day and on time. I expect the same from all.

I also expect you to keep your grades up. That's right, I will be checking. You are student-athletes, and if you are paying attention, you notice "student" comes first. It does with me, too. I've been a coach a long time, but I also have been a teacher a long time. Priority will always be academics.

That said, there is no reason you cannot do both. Will it be hard at times? Of course! That's one of the life lessons you learn from participating in sports - the invaluable lesson of time management. If you prioritize your activities, you can get the important stuff done. Ancillary activities might need to go on hold for a while. That's the way it works in the real world, too.

I expect you all to be role models, good citizens, good friends, and good teammates. I want you to be the envy of all BNL sports, an example of doing it right. That's what I want to be a part of.

This whole post tonight could be boiled down to setting high expectations... I have them for you, and I know you can live up to them. I challenge you to challenge yourselves - set that bar high, and give everything you have in everything you do. Extreme? Maybe. But for me, the edges are where the fun is...

No comments:

Post a Comment