Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Right Direction

Ladies,

Today we did the first tempo of the new season. It was an informal affair - I didn't even take splits. I wanted to focus more on getting a look at our grouping, and I also wanted a look at the returning girls we haven't seen much this summer. I was very pleased with the results to say the least.

We have a solid front group. I think we are going to be very competitive throughout the season, though the people in that front group will change as we go. That doesn't mean people will get worse; in fact, I think up is the way all will go. What I am driving at is we will see mercurial growth from some. The odds just stack up that way. We have so many girls, there is a sleeper hiding in there somewhere. Just remember I told you so.

This first week is about establishing a rhythm to our weekly schedule. When racing begins, we will average one meet a week, so we'll plan for two additional hard days to go along with that. That's all the hard you need as a racer. Usually that will be a tempo and some form of strength or speed training. The other days will either be distance or rest. That's the broad outline of the easy/hard relationship. We can go more into that down the road if need be.

Tomorrow we will go for a standard distance run. Six miles is the goal, and that shouldn't be too tough. We will stagger that though... some girls will have reduced distances. I'm even thinking of breaking the workouts up a bit since we have the coaching to do it. It might be good to target people for their specific needs.

For now, keep up the good work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment