Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A new day

Ladies,

Last night I felt pretty low. There are times in coaching where an event will come along and make you feel like you know nothing at all about what you're doing. That's what it felt like last night. Things just didn't seem to be going our way on any level, with one very important exception; we did get out to Regional.

I've had time to reflect on it a bit, and honestly I feel a lot better. I'm not saying I got any smarter overnight - that certainly didn't happen. What did happen was I gained a bit of clarity.

First thing I wanted to do (once I had the time) was to compare times from the Ted Fox Invite to Sectional. Both Salem and Edgewood came to that meet, and I wondered if (and by how much) they improved from one meet to the other. Check out the results for each teams' top-5:

Athlete School Ted Fox Sectional
Hannah Sears Edgewood 19:12:00 19:51:00
Angela Kendall Orleans 20:39:00 20:19:00
Sandra Warren Salem 20:19:00 20:21:00
Sydney Calhoun Salem 21:29:00 20:37:00
Madison Smith Salem 20:47:00
Celine Hornick Edgewood 21:25:00 21:56:00
Laken White Salem 22:34:00 22:49:00
Stacey Nethery Edgewood 23:14:00 23:17:00
Audrey Litten Edgewood 23:47:00 23:41:00
Megan Law Salem 25:19:00 24:45:00
Hannah Davis Edgewood 23:50:00 25:18:00


Edgewood's girls either slowed down or stayed level. Salem had two girls improve. Sydney Calhoun isn't in the same category - she'd been hurt/sick (I know mother). She's healthier now, therefore she's running more what she should be running - call that one a wash. I guess what I'm saying is the meet appears to have been slow for everyone. That makes me feel a bit better.

Next, I felt like you gals kept your heads. You didn't run great - fair enough. But you didn't run terribly, and better still, you didn't quit on it. We had decent times, but we have to run better. I think we have a great potential to do so, because I don't feel as if anyone completely pancaked themselves last night night. On the other hand, I can't see how Salem runs better. That's pretty much it for them. If we can get a drop out of you girls, I think we compete with them for the top-5 on Saturday.

There's more. My guess is we'll get a few girls through to Semi-State even if we don't get out as a team. I don't think there'll be 10 better unattached girls than we have on our team. Somebody's getting out on Saturday.

Finally, I liked the energy I saw in practice(s) today. I can see taper is kicking in. We have girls ready to pop big. Oh, and Alli looked (and sounded) healthy tonight. It's 180 degrees different from a day ago as far as I'm concerned.

So... let's practice tomorrow at BNL, 9 AM, three miles easy. I can't wait for Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment