Friday, October 18, 2013

...and now we're upon it.

Ladies,

This is it. This is what the entire summer was about, the whole season. We are upon what might or might not be our final meet. It all depends on what happens tomorrow, and by that I mean what you do with tomorrow.

We absolutely have the ability to beat Salem, to earn that last slot out. We have to do it is all. Easier said than done perhaps, but there isn't much to overthink here. Salem's top 3 are good, but not that much better than ours. No, the damage we do to them is as we've talked about all along - our top 3 close the gap, and our final 2 open a wider gap with their final 2. If we can do that, we squeak by them. They of course will be our target.

A complicating factor will be rain. Tomorrow morning is forecast to be in the mid-40's with rain. That will be miserable, it will slow the race down, and it will be a real slogfest after the boys tear up the course in the first race. That makes the race one of position. In this scenario we actually gain a bit of advantage because we are better used to our course. We still have to monitor our uphill efforts (Carrie!), but the rest of the course should be run aggressively.

If it is pouring rain, I would recommend our top 3 attach themselves loosely to their top 3. Let them slide out a little in the first mile, then smack back hard in the second. Really hard! Their #3 in particular seems vulnerable, and I think if we can get to her, she'll break. Make that happen in the second mile!

You are all rested, ladies. You will find the energy to run hard throughout the race. Madison and Katlyn, you have to start cautiously, but after that, I expect you guys to try to make the next two miles faster and fastest. Chloe and Morgan, don't be afraid to run hard throughout the race. What do you have to lose?

It will come down to numbers in the end. If you want to run next week, there are only two ways to go:


  1. We beat Salem, or;
  2. You run in the top-35
If you can keep your eyes up enough to count, you should have a fair idea of where you are mid-race. Top-35 will go to Semi-State, I'll practically guarantee it. We have girls that can do that. Take your shot, make it happen!

Now on to other matters...

I didn't misspell anything last night. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. 

You all left your letters in my car. Thanks a lot! Now I have to pour through them all. Let's look at the first one:

"Dear Coach Deckard, 
What are you going to do for fall break? I am going to play basketball all day long, and I think my Aunt is going to have a baby soon. Very soon. Good luck at Sectional.
Love, Isabel"

Response -

"Dear Isabel, 
Do you really spell it that way? Man, I've been messing that up all year. What a dummy I am! 
For fall break I'm going to continue being the outrageously good-looking man I am. I sorta have no choice about it, so I'm going to roll with the hand dealt to me. 
Playing basketball, eh? All day? Don't you get tired? Are you some kind of futuristic basketball player cyborg sent back to the past inspire generations of girls to take up the sport? 
Thanks for your good-luck wishes. We can use all the help we can get! Donations too, I guess. We accept Visa and Mastercard. 
Yours Handsomely, Coach Deckard"

Next letter:

"Dear Alli, 
What are you going to do over fall break? I am going on a cruise. I am taking off the 17th of October. 
You did really go at practice when I saw you there.  
Write back soon when I get back from vacation. 
Your pinpal, Luke"

Response (generated) - 

"Dear Luke, 
I get to spend time around the smartest guy I ever met, Coach Deckard. You can keep your cruise - every day around Coach Deckard is smooth sailing. 
You saw me really going at practice? That's because Coach Deckard inspires me to run faster.  
I'll write you some more about Coach Deckard when you get back. 
In Deckard Worship, Alli"

Gee, that made me blush a bit, Alli. I understand it of course, but wow, really. One more letter:

"Dear Bret,
I am going to play in the leaves at my house. Bret do you know my name? You are kind to me I like you. Can you back to me please? Good luck at Sectional. 
Love, Makarahrose"

Response (generated) - 

"Makarahrose (how do you PRONOUNCE that?!), 
Who plays in leaves? What are you, 9? Man, I haven't done that since I was in 3rd grade. (wait, someone is telling me something) Whuh? She is in 3rd grade? Man, do I feel foolish! 
I'm sure playing in leaves is fun, but I'll be listening to my favorite collection of Coach Deckard hits. Did you know Coach can sing? He surely can, and I would also add he's better than the original artist on every song. It's amazing! Coach Deckard also writes better lyrics, too. And rap? Wow! He can freestyle it like no one else can! Fershizzle.  
Anyway, there's your letter.  
Bret"


No comments:

Post a Comment