Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Final Climb

Ladies,

You've done it! This was the last hill workout for the season, at least in terms of a formalized segment of training. We start speedwork next week. Gather yourself for that!

It was a good workout. Yes, it was hot, and yes, you suffered. It will be worth it. You'll all see that soon enough.

I thought you all did a great job under the circumstances, though not all of you completed every one. That's as it should be. You are not all equal in training, fitness, etc. Of course some will be pulled earlier than others. That's our (the coaches) call to make. What am I looking for when I make the decision to pull someone from a hard workout.

Form.

In something as technical as hill training, form is crucial to effective running. If you cannot control form, you are not in control of yourself anymore. If you are not in control, likely you are practicing varying degrees of errors.You know the old saying - practice makes perfect, whatever you practice. Therefore, when you get to the point you can't do it right, I need to pull you before you undo everything we've worked for.

I know that's upsetting. I would be upset to. I want to finish what I start. I don't want to feel substandard. No, that's not true... I always want to be the best in the group. There. I said it. I want to beat everybody. Every. Time. I can't help it. Sure, I'll tell you great job if you beat me, and I'll even mean it. But I like it better when I beat you. I totally understand not wanting to be pulled off a practice. But sometimes it's best in the long run to call it a day.

Remember, we're not infallible. Sometimes the workout scheduled for the day is simply the wrong one. Some workouts just go badly - today didn't start so great, did it? But by the end it all worked out. It's our job as coaches to determine when to call it and when to stick it out. Today we let it ride for most of you, and that was the right call. I think everyone got the appropriate level of training, which is always the primary goal.

Tomorrow is easy. Maybe we'll run down Limestone?

No comments:

Post a Comment