Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Results Verified!

Ladies,

I bit the bullet and used a somewhat effeminate wrist device to good effect this afternoon. I was curious very curious to verify the data recorded this past Saturday on the railroad bed. It's not that I distrust Carrie; however, data that can be verified with an additional device is all the more valid.

My borrowed device is nowhere near as nice as Carrie's (nor my former 910XT), but it was more than adequate. True, it took about an hour after I got home to get it to sync to my computer, but when it did, I was able to render the following nugget... the one-way distance as calculated by the Garmin 405 was - drum roll - 1.15 miles. Not only does this back what Carrie said, it also justified my assumption it would be necessary to add a fraction to the overall distance.

That means the 3.45 mile distance is completely conservative. Yes, you really did run that speed. Yes, you really are that good. Numbers collected and verified through satellite data. There is no longer any question.

We're coming to it now... the first meet. Count on it being hot. Forecast says 89 will be the high, and there will be humidity. You won't be able to go full speed, and I wouldn't want you to try. This is a perfect example of the kind of meet where you have to let the race come back to you. You will have runners that take off on the front end at insane speed. Let them. I've seen it over and over. In high heat, runners crack. Don't let that be you.

Conservative run on the front, apply pressure back. That'll be the ticket. Keep that in mind over the next few days. Visualize 85% effort through the first half. Step on the gas in the second, slowly, but steadily. Watch the runners coming back to you.

Up-tempo work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment