Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Another day, a better day

Ladies,

Last night wasn't the best of workouts. Thankfully it was an aberration, because tonight was much better. Not without it's problems, but attitude/focus wasn't one of them.

It was a 7-mile run for most. Embedded in the run were some pickups, a quarter-mile in length, with paces between 6:00-6:30 for the most part. Look at the data here and you will see:

Run your mouse along the graph on the bottom. Read the pace!

After thinking about last night, I realized the thing that was missing; Coach Vance. She was not there to urge you on during the hard stuff, and you drifted. Sure, everyone is getting tired, but that's always true. Still, I think Coach's absence was the critical piece.

That's why I ran with you tonight. I was going to be the hard part, and dictate how hard/how long you did it. That way I kept the pace where I wanted it and I would be right there if someone needed a kick in the seat of the pants. Thankfully the kicking part wasn't necessary!

On the front of the group, the pace didn't hurt you at all. On the end, it did. Naturally. Still, every girl on the team has at least 6-flat speed for short distance. I was counting on that.

Turning our attention forward, we have two days left until the Invite. Tomorrow will be another 6-7 mile run. Friday will be only 5. Both days will be at Milwaukee, because I want you all to heal up a bit. We cannot afford to hurt anyone at this point in the season.

Saturday is a big day, especially for runners 6-10. Who gets to run Conference/Sectional/Regional may be settled then. Everyone will train until the end of the season, but the only people sure to race until the season is over are the 7 fastest times of the season. That's the only fair way to do it. I hate that all of you won't be able to race State Series. That's just how it works.

For now, we race at 9 AM. I would want girls there by 8. Members of last year's team remember "The Great Sleepover Fiasco". Don't forget to set your alarm! I certainly don't want anyone to lose their slot because they showed up late. There will be both a Varsity and JV race.

By the way, more and more of you are getting Garmins. I've created a club for that on Strava, and you can find it here:

Stars Girls CC

It only has one member right now - me! C'mon, if you own some form of GPS (and Coach Vance, your Android device works just fine), join in! You'll understand how addictive it is once you try it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment