Monday, September 8, 2014

Cooler Weather!

Ladies,

Finally! It didn't seem as if the weather would ever break, but it has. This whole week looks to be fantastic, and we will make the most of it. We kicked it off today with a good run, and I think everyone made some good distance. A few of you had your longest runs yet!

Tomorrow things get a bit more serious. We'll be doing 800's, four of them to be exact. That's shorter than we normally do, and there's a reason. The next day we'll do a tempo. That will give us back-to-back quality days, which can be done. We just have to be careful how we do it.

In the first workout we'll be looking at goal times for the next meet (Saturday). These I will base off your last (or fastest) race. What we are looking for is improvement, so expect me to bump your race average pace up a bit.

Why do it on the track? Control. I love the Milwaukee surface, but there is no good way to manage the splits for all you girls. I can get accurate distances. I can't be at all places at all times. I need those splits at this point so I can begin to pinpoint what is what.

Breaking this down, it will likely go something like this:

Carrie - last race pace was 21:44, but last year on this course you ran 20:50. That's 6:36 pace, so I would want to see if you could hold 6:30 pace for 4 x 800. That would be 3:18 total per 800. Before you balk, remember that you have routinely held sub-3:00 800's for the last two years. I'm sure you can easily do 3:18.

Joslyn - I don't have a lot to go on other than your race pace. Given how rough it's been on you the last few days, I don't want anything faster than 3:30 to start (7-minute pace). If the first couple go okay, then we'll go harder. You'd better hydrate tonight, girlfriend! FWIW, that pace would give you 21:42, a good drop from last race.

Zoe - this is going to sound crazy, but I want you to try 3:30. I have a lot of reasons to believe you can do it, starting with you are daily in the top 3 of runners. Sure, your race pace was 7:40, but I think it's a confidence thing with you. If I can prove to you it's possible, you will do it.

Katlyn - remember that gap thing we talked about today? They were 2:19, 1:53. The trend is definitely up, and you are about to break big. I'll back you down to a 3:35, or 7:10 pace, though my gut says that's not necessary. I think you could hold the 7.

Diana - you can race at 7:50 pace, and tomorrow we prove it. You will hold 3:50 (or under) for all four. Yes, you will!

Chelsey - I can't see any reason you can't hold 3:50 (7:40 pace). You should be able to handle that pace easily enough.

Kate - really tough to gauge this one. We'll go with 4:10 (8:20 pace). That seems like an appropriate jump, if you're healthy. And you sound like you are!

Sara - same as Kate. For you it isn't about how fast you can run, it's how long you can take it. We have to find the pace that you can handle without triggering an episode.

Cynthany - same as Sara. You are fast, a great sprinter; let's see how long you can hang onto that speed.

Look, in the old days we did 8 x 800. I'm cutting this back, at least for this week, so wrap your heads around doing four. Don't be frightened - be like Diana. Tonight, when I went down to the track to catch the end of the workout, Coach Vance asked a couple girls to run hard the last quarter. Kate passed the invite onto Diana. I loved Diana's response:

"Bring it."

That's right, baby. And you know something else? Diana outran Kate. Diana, who is not a sprinter, outran Kate, whom I believe to be a natural-born 800 runner. Diana refused to lose, simple as that. Learn from that, ladies... don't be afraid to try, embrace competition, never back down...

Oh, I promised to show you the run data I collected tonight...

Watch how the pace and heart rate were connected, as well as hills and heart rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment