Thursday, September 25, 2014

Feeling good

Ladies,

I'm feeling much better about our direction heading into this weekend. The old attitude is coming back, and I saw signs today that people are getting aggressive. Good! That's the momentum we need heading into the end of the season.

Hard to believe, but our season comes down to the next three weeks. Everything that's happened since June, all the sacrifices you've made, all for the next three weeks... imagine that.

I asked Diana tonight if she felt the wind in her hair. Both she and Zoe were confused by that - yes, they felt wind in their hair, but by their expressions you could tell they wondered what I meant by that. Believe me, it's not the first time I've seen that look. Today.

"The wind in your hair" refers to that time period when some event in your life is about over, and you can see the end nearing. For Diana, that's her cross country career. It's a sad thing, and I certainly am not rubbing salt in that, but I think it's worth thinking about while you're still in the moment. Think of it as pre-nostalgia.

For me, that's cause to double down on my efforts like each one could be my last. Fact is, they might! An injury now means the end of cross instantly - we don't do redshirt seniors at BNL. No, anything left to accomplish cannot wait until some faraway time we'll someday get to. We can't even wait until tomorrow. Better to live every moment of it as if it were the last.

Isn't that true for all of us? Sure, only Diana graduates this year, but think of what she has meant to all of us. Think what a great captain she is. This will be a difficult hole to fill. In this respect, we are all going through a senior year, aren't we?

All the more reason to come together as a team, to enjoy these final weeks together. Who knows how it will all turn out, the ups and downs come as they will. We can choose to make the most of it and the time together to build lifelong memories.

I'll tell you this; nothing makes me smile like watching you all pile in a car and run off to do something together. Ask your parents about that one - I'm betting there isn't one that wouldn't trade places with you and be able to enjoy that priceless time of life again.

Shifting gears... revised beard goals!

Joslyn and Carrie - break 20:30.
Katlyn and Zoe - break 22:00.
Madison - break 22:30.
Chelsey - break 23:00.
Diana/Cynthaney/Sara - break 24:00.
Kate - break 24:30.

You can shave, stripe, dye, paint, about anything but tattoo. Plot your evil!

No comments:

Post a Comment