Saturday, September 13, 2014

Eagle Classic - What A Classic!

Ladies,

How do I even begin to write about what happened today? I mean, I expected there to be great times, in fact, I would have bet on it. What I didn't know, and it kept me up all night, was how many would be great, and worse, what I could possibly say to anyone that didn't see their best time of the season. That one had me seriously concerned, because in all honesty, I've never had a team go top-to-bottom great the way this one did today. Luckily I didn't have to find something to say, because you all blew through expectations as a team.

Okay, not exactly true... I did have a fair idea of what you were capable of. Carrie and Joslyn under 21? Easy to predict. Zoe, Kaitlyn, and Madison under 23? Very easy to predict. Diana and Chelsey under 24? That was on the far end of my expectations, though it was certainly possible. Sara, Cythany, and Kate all under 25? I hoped, but I wouldn't have bet on all of them given what Sara has been through. So, to be fair to myself, the data said you could do it, I related that information to you, but there is no way for me to take credit for any of it. I'm just an observer.

You guys did it.

What you accomplished individually and as a team was to elevate a couple of levels. You are now serious Semi-State contenders, with the possibility of State appearance at the end. Long shot? Sure. Possible? Absolutely!

Do you realize you only lost to Terre Haute North by 5 points. Salem didn't put a team together again, so it's hard to get a hard fix on them, but I'm guessing you gained some ground. Did you notice how close to Sydney Joslyn finished? Sixteen seconds. That's it. Carrie miscalculated her first mile and it cost her, otherwise we had two girls at 20-mid. Salem has two fast girls, maybe even three, but beyond that I don't think so much. For us, 3-5 are outstanding, and 6-7 aren't bad at all. If we can keep improving, it's hard to imagine how we don't get out of Regional.

Okay, this is the part where normally I would break it all down... sadly, I cannot quite yet. I'm in the process of setting up my new computer, and I don't have all my software ready yet. Instead I will give you my impressions, however inaccurate (or unsupported) they may be at the moment. In order of finish:

Joslyn - brilliant race. You did fall off a little the second mile, though to be fair that is where the going gets tough. I saw you getting pushed around here and there by the other runners - warned you, didn't I? You came through with a powerful finish, and I'm sure you can see 20-flat from where you are standing. Gutsy job!

Carrie - as I told you earlier, there isn't a breath between you and Joslyn right now. You both simply have different tools. Yours was your undoing today - you are a sprinter, and you have essentially sprinted at the front of the race instead of the end. Slowing down slightly in the first half mile would have made all the difference. Believe me, if you can zero in on the proper effort level early, you could drop another 45 seconds to a minute this season.

Katlyn - wow! WOW! I have absolutely nothing to add to what you did except to say a great big, "I TOLD YOU SO!" I knew you were going to break big, and told my friends so all week. And don't think for a second you're done. Oh no, this is only the beginning. You are still sorting it out, we have much speed work to do yet, and you are going to get better and better.

Madison - well? Feeling better about things now? You didn't lose as much as you thought, now did you? It's a confidence thing. No, it's a mindset thing. Look, you can look at challenges before you as insurmountable, or you can look at them as puzzles that have to be solved. Here's the common sense to it... other girls can run fast, and so can you. What I mean by that is I think sometimes you're quick to think something is impossible, when in fact it isn't - it's just going to cost something. When you get right down to it, you have very fast legs. You have good conditioning. That means placing your head in the right place makes all the difference. Today you didn't let the last two weeks determine your fate. If you can keep your head there, and build on it, you will hardly believe what will happen.

Zoe - ditto what I said about Katlyn. All week long I've been telling my friends to watch you, that you would break big. I told you that too. And, like Madison, you have only to get your ahead around the possibility of doing something great, and you will do it. You were tough today and hung in there. You do have to remember to keep the heels of a girl you are chasing (in this case Katlyn), but I really have no complaint whatsoever over what happened. You raced your guts out and had a huge PR. That is nothing but positive.

Chelsey - Perfect race. Perfect. I have nothing because there is nothing to say. Huge effort, huge PR. I wish mom could have been there!

Diana - so you didn't quite get 24. So what? Huge PR, and what a confidence booster! It was a steady race for you, and a very complete effort. Wish you had more kick! ;)

Cynthany - I'm just amazed. I hoped you would break 25, but never dreamed you would crush it the way you did. That was a fine display of tough, smart racing. Good steady effort, great finish. BRAVO!

Sara - Again, totally amazed. I was afraid when we mistimed your medicine it might be a problem, but if was, you would never be able to tell. What a great time on such short miles for the year! I don't think anyone could have seen such a fine drop in time as you had today.

Kate - Glad that's over, aren't you? I can see how tight you get before a race, and that's something we will be talking about. You ran a great race, and I know that hurt a bunch, but man, what a drop! I do believe you will break 24 this year before it is done.

I still can't believe we had a virtual tie with Terre Haute North... that's huge! We beat Madison, New Albany, and Jeffersonville by about a 100 points or more... the only HHC team I'm not certain of now is Columbus East, but at this point we are looking at 3rd at HHC this year - a huge improvement.

Man.

I'm going to sign off for now. I will work on this computer to get it up to speed. After that... breakdown. That will likely come tomorrow or even Monday.

2014 Eagle Classic Results

No comments:

Post a Comment