Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Clouds gathering

Ladies,

It was a weird training day. I'd planned from the start to run a shorter practice, mainly because of the weather. Funny then that we'd have to shorten the workout because of the... well, weather.

The heat index was out the roof this afternoon. High humidity and high dew point combined once again to make the real-feel over 100 degrees. This is dangerous running if overdone, so the plan was to go shorter and easier. Most of the team made for the trail, which offered the best opportunity for some semblance of comfort.

I went to the Athletic Office to check mail, collect some forms, and check grades. That took a few minutes, but when I was done I hopped in the car to cruise around and see how everyone was holding up. I figured I might have to drag an overheated runner in. Better safe than sorry!

I was happy to see most of you were doing just fine, if not happy about it. Once I was satisfied everyone was going to be okay, I headed back to the course to check on the other girls.

On the way back I began to notice the building clouds. It was still quite sunny out, but the towering cumulus clouds were topping out and beginning to flatten, a sure sign a storm was forming. I was alarmed at how quickly it was happening.

I spoke to a few of you about your grades, then headed back to the girls out on the road. It was time to pick you up, because I couldn't be sure you would make it back safely before a storm hit. Yes, things were coming apart that fast by this time.

So I loaded you all up and we rode in. At that point, practice had to end because of lightning. And that's how it all ended today. I wouldn't have cut the run quite as short, but there are some things that cannot be controlled, and I can't stress about it.

Looking forward though... tomorrow is a harder workout. I am not saying what yet. Hopefully it will be cooler, but either way we're running harder. That's the way it's going to have to be. I have a couple of workouts in mind, and I won't pick until I see the conditions at the time of the run.

We race at Brown County this weekend. Your mind should already be turning toward that point. We have a flat course. It's the Semi-State course, so we are getting a preview. It's going to be very cool, perfect running weather. We will be running against several conference and State Series foes. We are ready to run faster. All we need is to get our minds in the right place, and it's ours.

Salem is our main concern. Our top-5 has to beat their top-5. Every girl has the responsibility to attack the Salem girls whenever and wherever possible. No, I don't mean grab them at the parking area and club them unconscious... I mean out on the course, you press, hard. We are good enough to match them 1-for-1 if we choose to do so. We are deeper, but I don't want to settle for that... I want to take it to them at every level. Even if they get us this time, we're going to keep going at them until we get them. No excuses. No compromise. It's time to set your jaw and take it. We need to beat their quality too, because in a large meet that gap hurts us.

Fire up!

No comments:

Post a Comment