Saturday, September 21, 2013

Crawford County Results

Ladies,

As much as I love the Crawford County course, and as much as I enjoy their unique race format, I find their no-tech approach absolutely vexing. Whatever convinces them year after year that 400 teen-aged girls and boys can run through appropriate chutes at the end of a hard race without anyone making a mistake... well, I can't fathom what that would be. It would be no problem of course if it didn't completely screw up results for everyone else. It's a guaranteed snafu year-in and year-out. *sigh*

No, I don't have results. We won't have those until Monday or Tuesday, I'm guessing. I'll hold back posting specifics until I get the final results. Let me just restrict this to observations.

This was a "Time Doesn't Matter" sort of race. No one broke 20 out there, at least not in the second race. Consider what that means. There are girls in this field that have run in the 18's. It was that kind of day. You had to race for position, and that I thought we did well. As best as I can recall:

Carrie - 6th
Danielle - 9th
Madison - 12th
Chloe - 20th
Kaitlyn - 23rd
Diana - 30th
Claudia - 33rd
Nicole - 50th

I'm very happy with those slots, especially with respect to how we placed with our biggest rival Salem. I'm sure they still beat us, but not by as much. We're closing the gap, and that's the plan.

About today... I shared something with the older girls that perhaps I should have shared with all of you regarding the meaning of time. Sometimes we get all hooked up with a number, how many of them it takes to cover another number, but the only numbers that really matter are the order of finish. We want to do our best time, because that's the best way to get the best finish. It's a means to an end. Most of the time focusing on time serves the purpose we want, so it's easier to keep things simple. Sometimes it's counter-productive to focus on time, because it's frustrating and demoralizing.

Like today.

If we look at today from a time standpoint, it would be a failure (except for Chloe, who actually improved). Today wasn't a failure, not at all. I thought it was a great race day. Things aren't very clear-cut because I don't have a sheet in front of me to dissect, but I felt great about the racing I saw. Yes, we definitely have things to work on yet. And we will. But today was a good day - no - a great day.

You are tired, sore, and today you ran under slick and sloppy conditions, but you fought anyway. That's what we have to have. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment