Wednesday, September 11, 2013

May the dam burst!

Ladies,

Okay, seriously, the weather is going to break, I promise. The forecast for tomorrow is for a high of 85 and 50% chance of storms. It will not be like the last three days again. I promise. Still, I admire the way you ladies handled it today. I bet you didn't know it, but I secretly taped the whole event. I'll play a little excerpt from the pre-workout talk...

<click>*hssssssss....*
"Okay ladies, I know it's hot, but we have to work out hard today. I know, you don't want to-"

"Coach?! I just want to say I hope it's 800s. I LOVE 800s! Can we please do 800s?"

"Settle down, Chloe. No, it's not 800s-"

"But COACH! We have to do something hard. WE MUST! I feel utterly WORTHLESS unless you make the team suffer for the cause. Think of the kids!"

"Chloe, I don't see what 'the kids' have to do with anythin-"

"Of course they do, coach, they have EVERYTHING to do with it."

"How so?"

"They look up to you, coach. Heck, we ALL do! We know the second there's a running coach Hall of Fame, you'll be the first draftee."

"Now you're making me blush."

"No, I mean it coach. You're the bomb. You're the... the 4G of coaches!"

"And the kids?"

<the sound of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" rises in the background>
"You owe it to the kids to create more legends. Us, coach. Us. We're all part of the legacy. If we don't do great, your legend will be diminished. The kids who dream of some day running for you, the legend, will have no hope, no purpose. So you see coach, you have to make us suffer. You have to."

"Well, when you put it THAT way-"

"Oh, I do. I DO! Make us hurt coach. Make us throw up!"
<click>

So you see ladies, I was only fulfilling the wishes of one of your seniors, who I am sure was speaking for all of you. Sure, maybe you don't remember the conversation quite that way, but I have tape and you don't. Suffah.

As for the workout itself, it was indeed tough. I know you gals really suffered. We've run hard a lot lately, and the soccer girls played last night. The times weren't great on the whole (with the exceptions of Carrie, Bret, and Alli), but the effort was there. Some times you have to throw time out the window and just promise yourself you're stronger than the girl next to you, and if she can take it, so can you. And you keep going. That can happen at any speed, and at any point in a race. You make the choice to keep fighting, no matter what.

Tomorrow and Friday are easy runs. We race on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment