Sunday, September 8, 2013

Concerns

Ladies,

I want to be careful with what I have to say next. Understand, it is specifically from concern I write these words, so I ask that you take them in the most positive light possible. Understand, I want what's best for the team and you girls.

I have a growing concern, a nagging voice in the back of my head that says trouble is right around the corner. Things are beginning to veer off the correct path, and if we don't arrest the behavior now, it may soon be too late to correct.

I've been in this sport for over 20 years. I've been an endurance athlete all my life. I very much know what it takes to be at a high level of performance. I know it takes every ounce of dedication you can muster, hard work every day, and absolute consistency. To do less is to diminish your ability and conditioning.

Over the summer, things looked fantastic. 13 of you girls showed virtually every day, and it was a rare day a girl didn't make it. By the end of the summer you girls were looking strong, and there was every reason to believe we'd have a great season.

Over the last month, more and more often, I'll get a text saying, "Coach, I won't be there." Sometimes I don't get a text at all. I realize sometimes it cannot be avoided. But let's be honest - most of the time it can. If you recall, at the beginning of the season I stated as one of my rules that the coaches set the practice time. As this behavior has become far too common, it's clear the coach is no longer setting the practice time. I could let it go, realizing that if the runner doesn't want it badly enough maybe that's the way it should be. But I have to be honest, that's not me, and I can't just let it go. I'm a competitor through and through, and I can't stand by and let you girls do this to yourselves without saying something about it.

I want us to be a great team. I want us to compete with Seymour, Bloomington South, Columbus, New Albany, Floyd Central... and we could. But we will never, EVER do it by giving half of ourselves. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. Running is absolute. You can't "sorta" do it, you have to do it. Does that make me sound nuts? If so, then let it be, but it's the truth.

If this whole thing is a social gathering, I'm the wrong guy to coach, and this will be my last year. If you want to get better and learn to run and compete, then I'm your guy.

Sectional is a little over 5 weeks away. That puts taper no more than 4 weeks away. Some of you need to decide - right now - if this running thing is for you. I say this with all the love in my heart, I think the world of all of you, but I have to know NOW who I'm going to be able to count on during State tournament. I'm not trying to upset anyone, and I'm not pointing this at anyone specific but I need 7 of the hungriest girls I can find for that tournament team. I shouldn't have to talk you into wanting a spot, you should be fighting for it!

One of my other concerns is injury... and this especially goes out to the multi-sport girls... the responsibility is on YOU to do the things we ask to contain your injuries. Time and again I offer advice and treatment to you and you ignore it. Guess what? Things don't get better. Time is lost, time you cannot get back. In the end, it won't matter why the time was lost, legitimate excuse or not, you wind up short. If you are not willing to work at healing, don't expect miracles. This is no joke; you may lose your running season entirely unless you start taking this seriously.

Soccer is a contact sport. You are going to get hurt. Fact. And you accept that. You play through the pain. You've had 5 matches (at least) in the last 10 days. You practice through the pain. There is no time to heal. Because you are doing both, you are going to hurt in running too. There is no way to stop that from happening other than not running at all. I hate being this pointed about it, but I am at the end of my rope.

This sport accepts no excuses. It doesn't accept half-measures or complacency. You want to be great or you don't, and there is no in-between. It's time to wake up, look at ourselves and decide what we want. Do you want to go to Semi-State? State? Or do you want to barely squeak out of Sectional (if at all)?

I am a person that wants to be positive whenever possible. I cannot find the happy face to put on this situation. Things have to change. The survival of this season depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment