Friday, September 7, 2012

Brown County Eve

Ladies,

I'm excited. Tomorrow is the Brown County Invite, and there are several things coming together that will give a chance to do well.

It'll be much cooler. MUCH! The storm front that's about to pass (even as I type this) will seal the deal. Lows tonight are supposed to be in the mid-50's. It'll be a cool morning, and dryer.

The course is flat. It may have several turns, but it's as flat a course as you'll ever find.

We've started speed work. It's a little early, but some of you will get a bump right away from quality work. Some take longer than others (I was always one of the latter), but it will come.

Confidence is building with some of you. Chloe and Diana... I think you guys are due. Same for Morgan, who I think is healthy enough to run well. She's been pushing on the bike; I know, I've been watching.

Carrie, stick with the front two. Run off their energy, let them carry the race. Stay there as long as you can, and if luck favors you at the end, sprint ahead.

Danielle, you're going to get the Garmin. I want you to hear those alarms go off, because I know if you see yourself behind, KNOW you're behind, you'll react. You have the most race experience, you're the race leader of this trio.

Shelby, if you feel good, you can make your move starting at the halfway point. Don't do a crazy takeoff, just start pressing the issue, building speed toward the end.

Alli, you have to hurt more going into miles 2 and 3. This isn't to suggest you haven't in your previous races, I know you have. What I specifically mean is the intensity of the pain has to go up, not because I don't care about your leg (I do), rather because the stress of a hard race increases geometrically after the first mile. If your pain level doesn't go up, you're slowing down. It's normal, and if you want a great race, it's what it takes.

A little anecdote... oftentimes in my years as an elementary teacher I've had to warn the boys to not push their luck with the girls. Boys have this exaggerated sense of superiority over the girls at all ages - whether that's societal or genetic I don't know. What they always fail to consider - and I remind them of this point - is girls mature earlier than boys do. That means girls' muscles develop density earlier than boys' do, and by age 12 girls are generally superior to boys in strength and athleticism.

Who cares? Think of a boy who is picking on a girl, for whatever reason. Maybe he likes her, maybe he doesn't, or maybe he's not very nice, but the boys never, ever think there might be repercussions for doing it. In truth, there's only one reason the girls don't beat the living crap out of the boys; they choose not to. It isn't a question of whether they have the ability - they do. Girls just don't want to bad enough.

However, every now and then, a boy pushes too hard. And the girl... snaps. That boy is forever known around campfires as that guy, curled up in the fetal position, yelling for his life at the hands of a misused young lady.

Now this is a twisted way to come around to a point, but here it is; you're all stronger than you know. You can all do things that it never occurred to you to try. Whether it's anger, fear, or whatever emotion that brings it out, when you get the resolution to remain firm in a course, nothing can stop you.

No comments:

Post a Comment