Monday, September 10, 2012

Sectional Eve - five weeks from now

Ladies,

Yes, in five weeks it will be Sectional. At that point it's do-or-die. The sheets I gave you today underscore the challenge before us. On paper, we're 5th. Top five teams get out. Does that make me comfortable? Nope. Everyone will improve between now and then, so we have to as well.

It's not going to take superhuman efforts - the goal is very attainable. The trick is to have consistent training between now and then, AND bump up the quality a bit, particularly on the hard days. Of course we have to be mindful of injuries - we can't afford any! But if we can continue to see the growth we've seen the last couple of weeks, I think we'll be fine to get through to Regional, and perhaps even Semi-State.

With that out of the way, you might think I'm insane to allow you to play Powder Puff. Let me be frank; I'm not wild about the idea. In the old days I would have told you all to forget it (in fact, that's what I always told the swimmers), but I'm older, mellower, and have come to the realization this whole high school thingy is YOUR experience. It's not up to me to take this away from you. I can tell you it's a bad idea, and that if you get hurt that it will probably end our chances at Sectional, but honestly, if you want to play, play. Be CAREFUL, but play. You have my reserved blessing.

In completely hypocritical news, Frisbee Football is out. I deny this because I've already made a concession in Powder Puff. I cannot sacrifice any more practice energy to Homecoming. Plus, we'd be doubling down on the injury risk. Seems too... risky.

We'll be doing 800s tomorrow. I'll throw some target paces out there for ya:

  • Danielle, Shelby, Carrie - 3:15
  • Alli - 3:40
  • Chloe, Bret, Locki - 3:55
  • Diana - 4:00
Lauren, Morgan, Hanna, and Summer will not be running the intervals. You ladies will do easy running instead, or riding the bikes. 

I did screw up a bit. I should have made you captain wannabees campaign harder. I mean, c'mon, we should have had speeches, posters, buttons, the whole thing. I wanna see you guys out there glad-handing the masses, pandering for the vote. Heck, who knows, I might have even scored some home-made snacks. *sigh* As it stands, we'll just do a straight-up vote tomorrow. Top two vote-getters are co-captains. 

I'm still mulling this course name issue over and over. Everyone knows a great acronym spells something. How else are we to remember them? CROIYAMAB just doesn't stick. I liked Locki's "Kurs des Untergangs" (course of destruction), but I feel we have to do better. How about...
  • Best Intertwined Lines Linking Real Learning Zones (BILL RLZ)
  • Brain Invigorating Lessons Leave Smart Girls Running Terrifically (BILLS GRT)
  • Bratwurst Ingesting Leaves Lower Intestine Smarting Somewhat More Relatively Talking (BILL IS SMRT)
  • Girls' International Racing Lanes Striding eXcitement Carriers (GIRLS XC)
I'll admit to liking the first three best, but that last one could be worked out with some effort. Consider it your challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment